Wednesday, July 30, 2014

In the beginning!

So this is my first post in my new fangled blog covering the Warhammer 40k Tournament scene. My mission is to shed light on what can be a intimidating and misunderstood community in the wonderful Warhammer 40,000 hobby, Tournament player often have a stigma as WAAC(Win at all costs), TFGs (That Fucking Guy), and all around douchebag players. Nothing could be further from the truth. My experience with tournament players is that almost to a man or woman they are fantastic opponents and better people willing to pass a few hours rolling dice with complete strangers.

A little about me: I have been playing Warhammer 40k since 1996 where I primiarly played 2nd edition 40k dabbling in Blood Angels, Orks, Tyranids before settling on Ultramarines and Imperial Guard as my main armies. I took a hiatus for most of the 2000s as I moved to away from my gaming group and pursued other interests. In the summer of 2009 I decided to return to 40k while it was in 5th edition and played for six months or so before I fell out of the hobby due to work demands. In 2012 I heard a new edition of 40k was coming out and work demands had subsided so I decided to get back into the game with a vengeance. I fell in love with 6th edition 40k as it reminded me of the 2nd edition days with random psychic powers, wound allocation, and allies. I dusted off my old Imperial Guard and Ultramarines and started playing at my local FLGS.

Ironically enough my first game of 6th edition was in a local 3 round RTT (Rogue Trader Tournament. I played my first game against one of the areas better players and his Grey Knights. I had heard a lot of internet chatter about the GKs and how powerful they were so I was a little skeptical about my chances. Long story short I lost the game but rebounded in my next two to go 2-1 for the tournament and get 3rd place. I felt really good about that placing and it helped propel my interest in tournament 40k. Ever Since I have immersed myself in blogs, podcasts and anything else I feel can make me a better player. In the coming posts I will be talking about attending tournaments, travelling, sportsmanship, lists, metagame, top tournament players, new releases and the like. I hope I can grow as a player and person writing this blog and help people out who are stepping down the tournament player path.

No comments:

Post a Comment